A growing protest movement in southern Yemen threatens to turn into a rebellion if its demands are not met, possibly creating a broader haven for Al Qaeda.
- 11 August, 2009 Yemen’s Instability Grows as One of 3 Insurgencies Flares Up A rebellion has left dozens dead in recent days in a country already facing a violent separatist movement in the south and an insurgency by Al Qaeda.
- 11 August, 2009 One of Yemen’s 3 Insurgencies Flares Up A rebellion has left dozens dead in recent days in a country already facing a violent separatist movement in the south and an insurgency by Al Qaeda.
- 6 October, 2013 German embassy employee shot dead outside store in Yemen By Mohamed Ghobari SANAA (Reuters) - Gunmen shot dead a German security guard employed by the German embassy in Yemen's capital on Sunday as he was leaving a supermarket, Yemeni security officials said, in an attack they said bore the hallmarks of al Qaeda. The man was gunned down in […]
- 13 April, 2012 Qaeda battles to create safe haven in Yemen Al-Qaeda, still smarting from the loss of its iconic leader Osama bin Laden, appears determined to capture the south Yemeni town of Loder in a bid to build itself a secure base in the Arabian Peninsula.
- 2 January, 2010 Yemen’s Chaos Aids Evolution of Qaeda Cell While the government has been distracted by rebellions, Al Qaeda has built support in poor and lawless territories.