In a sign of progress, 12 women have formed their own party, with a platform built on women’s rights and jobs for Iraq’s many widows.
- 30 August, 2010 U.S. Commander Fears Political Stalemate in Iraq The outgoing commander of American forces in Iraq said a deadlock could create demands for a new election, throwing Iraqi politics into greater turmoil.
- 6 July, 2009 News Analysis: America Searches for Means of Influence in Iraq In dealing with Iraqi politics, American diplomats — who have a reputation for being heavy-handed — must find a new tone.
- 6 July, 2009 News Analysis: America’s New Role in Iraq Prompts a Search for Means of Influence As they deal with Iraqi politics, the Americans — who have a reputation for being heavy-handed — must find a new tone.
- 24 August, 2009 New Shiite Alliance Excludes Iraqi Prime Minister The new alliance of major Shiite groups, which will excludes the Dawa Party, is likely to stoke fears of growing Iranian influence and shake up the Iraqi political landscape.
- 7 March, 2010 In Basra, Iraqi Shiites Face Off Again The fact that men on opposing sides in a war have become mere political rivals in the space of two years is a testament to the progress made by Iraq’s democracy.