The United Nations mission in Syria will remain suspended because conflict between government and opposition forces is intensifying, a top UN official told the UN Security Council on Tuesday.
- 18 August, 2012 -- Brahimi to become new Syria conflict envoy
Lakhdar Brahimi, a veteran diplomat troubleshooter, will take over from Kofi Annan as the international envoy on the Syria conflict, the United Nations said.
- 13 December, 2011 -- France condemns UN Council silence on Syria deaths
France's UN envoy said Monday that the UN Security Council is "morally responsible" for killings in Syria by failing to condemn the government crackdown on protests.
- 16 August, 2012 -- UN Council orders end to Syria observer mission
The UN Security Council on Thursday ordered the withdrawal of UN observers in Syria, while Russia called for international powers to set a deadline for government and opposition forces to halt the conflict.
- 4 August, 2012 -- UN assembly hits out at Security Council failure on Syria
The UN General Assembly overwhelmingly passed a resolution slamming the Security Council's failure to act on the Syria conflict, which UN leader Ban Ki-moon said has become a "proxy war".
- 16 August, 2012 -- UN ends Syria mission as Aleppo under renewed attack
The United Nations called an end to its observer mission in Syria on Thursday, while activists reported more bloodletting in an attack on civilians in the main battleground of Aleppo.