Gunmen allegedly affiliated with Al-Qaeda on Sunday executed eight young Shiites near a northern Iraq town hit by shootings a day earlier, while six people died in other attacks nationwide.
- 12 August, 2012 -- Gunmen execute eight Shiites in north Iraq: officials
Gunmen allegedly affiliated with Al-Qaeda executed eight young Shiites but spared Sunnis after rounding up a group of men near a northern Iraqi town, a police official and a local politician said.
- 8 August, 2012 -- Iraq attacks on Shiites and lawyers kill 21
A car bomb targeting Shiite Muslims in Iraq and the shooting of a lawyer and his family left 21 people dead on Wednesday, after Al-Qaeda warned it would target lawyers and retake territory in a new campaign.
- 13 June, 2012 -- Wave of car bombs kills 63 during Iraq pilgrimage
Coordinated car bombs struck mainly Shiite pilgrims in several Iraqi cities Wednesday, killing at least 63 people and wounding dozens more in one of the deadliest attacks since U.S. troops withdrew from the country.
- 24 January, 2012 -- Officials: Car bombs kill 14 across Baghdad
A wave of car bombings hit the Iraq capital on Tuesday, killing 14 people and wounding more than 70 as violence surges in the country amid an escalating political crisis a month after the U.S. military withdrawal.
- 28 October, 2012 -- Official: Iraq searches Syria-bound Iranian plane
Iraqi authorities forced an Iranian cargo plane heading to Syria to land for inspection in Baghdad to ensure it was not carrying weapons, an Iraqi official said Sunday.