Syria said its troops seized a rebel-held Aleppo district on Wednesday after storming it and "annihilating" most of the insurgents, as a long-threatened ground assault on the key city was launched.
- 5 August, 2012 -- Syria army pounds rebels in Aleppo
The Syrian army pounded rebel positions in second city Aleppo Sunday ahead of a threatened ground assault after boasting its capture of the last rebel-held district of the capital.
- 16 August, 2012 -- Army pummels Aleppo ‘as 34 killed’ in Syria
The Syrian army pummelled districts across the embattled northern city of Aleppo on Thursday, leaving 18 civilians dead, while eight soldiers died in clashes with rebels, a watchdog said.
- 4 April, 2012 -- Syria forces hit rebels, Russia scorns opposition
Syrian forces stormed several rebel bastions on Wednesday despite a truce pledge, as Russia predicted the opposition would never defeat President Bashar al-Assad's army even if "armed to the teeth."
- 19 March, 2013 -- Chemical attack in north Syria: ‘People fell dead to the floor’
Israeli security officials believe chemical agents were in fact used near Aleppo by rebels or Assad forces. Young girl: My chest closed up. I couldn't talk. I couldn't breathe
- 4 February, 2012 -- Syria protesters target embassies in Europe, Mideast
Dozens of Syrian protesters were arrested Saturday after storming their country's embassies in cities in Europe and the Middle East, smashing windows and setting fire in one case.