The Syrian army on Monday sent shells slamming into rebel strongholds in Damascus province, where more than 45 people, including 36 civilians, have been killed in the past 48 hours, a watchdog said.
- 22 August, 2012 -- Syria forces unleash deadly assault on Damascus
Syrian forces backed by helicopter gunships and tanks launched a deadly assault on parts of Damascus on Wednesday, activists said, as the regime battles to stamp out rebel resistance in the capital.
- 16 August, 2012 -- Army pummels Aleppo ‘as 34 killed’ in Syria
The Syrian army pummelled districts across the embattled northern city of Aleppo on Thursday, leaving 18 civilians dead, while eight soldiers died in clashes with rebels, a watchdog said.
- 31 July, 2012 -- Syrian helicopter gunships strafe Aleppo rebels
Syrian government forces used helicopter gunships to strafe rebel-held districts in Aleppo and shelled the area on the third day of a pitched battle for the commercial capital.
- 14 August, 2012 -- Syria rebels claim jet downing as army advances
Syrian rebels claimed they downed a fighter jet in what would be a major coup for the opposition, but the regime seized the upper hand in Aleppo as it advanced into a new rebel-held district.
- 8 August, 2012 -- Hope and heartache: an Aleppo student’s story
Holding a Kalashnikov he admits to never having used, university student Mohammed Shadi says simply "I do not want to kill," as he recounts months filled with anger, violence, and disillusionment.