- 9 August, 2012 -- Clashes rage in Syria’s rebel bastions of Aleppo
Activists say clashes between Syrian government troops and rebels are raging in the opposition bastion of Saleheddine and other districts of the besieged city of Aleppo.
- 9 August, 2012 -- Iran tries to calm Syria crisis as violence rages
As Syrian forces struggled to drive rebels from the country's largest city, the regime's key ally Iran tried Thursday to start an alternative political process to address the crisis.
- 4 December, 2012 -- UN pulling staff from Syria, violence near capital
Fighting between rebels and government forces raged near the Syrian capital Damascus on Monday, forcing an inbound commercial jet to turn back while the U.N. said it was withdrawing staff because of deteriorating security conditions.
- 19 July, 2012 -- First word from Syria’s Assad emerges after attack
Bashar Assad attended the swearing-in of his new defense minister Thursday, according to footage shown on Syrian state TV, the first sign of the president since an audacious rebel attack the day before struck at the heart of his regime and killed three...
- 30 October, 2012 -- Syria activists report 23 dead in Damascus suburb
Airstrikes by Syrian jets and shells from tanks leveled a neighborhood in a restive city near the capital of Damascus on Tuesday, killing 18 people, and at least five rebel fighters died nearby in clashes with regime troops, activists said.