Syrian Vice President Faruq al-Shara made his first public appearance in over a month on Sunday, an AFP journalist said, following rumours that he had tried to defect.
- 25 August, 2012 -- Syria media warn of ‘fake email’ saying VP sacked
Syria's state news agency SANA said on Saturday that a fake email had been sent out in its name claiming that Vice President Faruq al-Shara had been sacked.
- 4 February, 2012 -- Iraqi president’s tribe calls for VP handover
President Jalal Talabani's tribe has called for Iraq's fugitive vice president to be handed over to the Baghdad government to face trial, a member of the tribe said on Saturday.
- 19 December, 2011 -- Iraq VP barred from overseas travel
Iraq's Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi has been barred from travelling overseas, officials said on Monday, the latest development in a political crisis shortly after US troops completed a pullout.
- 20 December, 2011 -- Sunni Iraq VP denies charges of running hit squads
Iraq's Sunni vice president wanted by the Shiite-led government for allegedly ordering hit squads against government officials says he's innocent of any charges.
- 28 January, 2012 -- Iraq VP’s staffers detained: Amnesty
Two women employed by the office of Iraq's fugitive vice president Tareq al-Hashemi have been detained by security forces and may be at risk of torture, rights group Amnesty International said.