Syrian Prime Minister Riad Hijab has defected to the opposition, a monitoring group said on Monday, as state media announced the premier's abrupt dismissal just two months after his appointment.
- 14 August, 2012 -- US lifts sanctions on Syrian PM after defection
The United States on Tuesday lifted sanctions against former Syrian prime minister Riad Hijab, who defected earlier this month, as it urged more top officials to abandon the regime.
- 6 June, 2012 -- Syria’s Assad names new PM after parliamentary vote
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Wednesday appointed agriculture minister Riad Hijab as the strife-torn country's new premier and tasked him with forming a government, state television reported.
- 8 August, 2012 -- Syrian troops push into Aleppo to oust rebels
Syria launched a ground assault Wednesday on rebel-held areas of the besieged city of Aleppo, the center of battles between government forces and opposition fighters for more than two weeks.
- 29 April, 2013 -- State TV: Syrian premier escapes bomb attack
DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — Syria's prime minister escaped an assassination attempt Monday when a bomb went off near his convoy in Damascus, state media reported, the latest attack targeting a top official in President Bashar Assad's regime.
- 29 April, 2013 -- Syrian premier escapes bomb attack in Damascus
DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — Syria's prime minister escaped an assassination attempt Monday when a bomb exploded near his convoy in Damascus, state media reported, in the latest attack to target a top government official.