Turning rockets into goal posts, abandoned tanks into playthings, and war into a game, children in Syria are hostages to a conflict that has forced them to try to normalise death, loss and violence, residents and activists say.
- 3 September, 2012 -- UN envoy to Syria says mission is very difficult
The U.N.'s new envoy to Syria says his mission to end the country's civil war is "very, very difficult."
- 19 January, 2013 -- Syria troops, rebels fight near bases in northeast
BEIRUT (AP) — Syrian activists report intense fighting between government troops and rebels trying to tighten their siege of two military bases in the northeast.
- 9 August, 2012 -- Syria army claims control of Aleppo rebel redoubt
Syria said its troops seized a rebel-held Aleppo district on Wednesday after storming it and "annihilating" most of the insurgents, as a long-threatened ground assault on the key city was launched.
- 22 August, 2012 -- Syrian forces, rebels in major Damascus clashes
Syrian regime forces shelled two central Damascus districts Wednesday before troops backed by tanks swept through to carry out house-to-house raids, killing at least 35 suspected rebels, in a major flare-up of fighting in the Syrian capital, activists ...
- 25 August, 2012 -- In battered Aleppo, rebels dig in for war of attrition
Syrian rebels say they are digging in for a war of attrition in Aleppo, where what was being billed as the "mother of all battles" is now dragging on into a second month of bloody stalemate.