The United States on Tuesday lifted sanctions against former Syrian prime minister Riad Hijab, who defected earlier this month, as it urged more top officials to abandon the regime.
- 6 August, 2012 -- Syrian premier ‘defects’ in new blow to Assad
Syrian Prime Minister Riad Hijab has defected to the opposition, a monitoring group said on Monday, as state media announced the premier's abrupt dismissal just two months after his appointment.
- 9 April, 2013 -- Libyan prime minister’s abducted aide is freed
TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — A senior Libyan official says that the prime minister's chief of staff has been freed after eight days in captivity by a militia.
- 8 August, 2012 -- Syrian troops push into Aleppo to oust rebels
Syria launched a ground assault Wednesday on rebel-held areas of the besieged city of Aleppo, the center of battles between government forces and opposition fighters for more than two weeks.
- 21 March, 2013 -- Obama skeptical of Assad claim on chemical weapons
JERUSALEM (AP) — President Barack Obama said Wednesday that the United States is investigating whether chemical weapons have been deployed in Syria, but he's "deeply skeptical" of claims by Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime that rebel forces were behind such an attack.
- 11 July, 2012 -- Syrian envoy to Iraq defects: diplomat
Syria's ambassador to Iraq Nawaf Fares has defected from the regime of embattled President Bashar al-Assad, an Arab diplomat in Baghdad told AFP Wednesday.