The United States on Tuesday accused Iran of setting up a pro-regime militia in Syria as Washington increasingly ties the crisis there to interference by its long-time foe Tehran.
- 8 January, 2012 -- US will respond if Iran blocks Strait: Panetta
The United States will respond if Iran tries to close the strategic Strait of Hormuz at the entrance to the Gulf, US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta warned Sunday, saying such a move would cross a "red line."
- 30 January, 2012 -- US, Egypt seek to defuse NGO row
An Egyptian delegation and US officials were to hold talks in Washington Monday to try to defuse a deepening row that has seen a number of American citizens hole up at the US embassy in Cairo.
- 1 March, 2012 -- For Israel, little hope from NKorea nuclear freeze
Israel says the economic pressure that appears to have brought a dramatic breakthrough in nuclear negotiations with North Korea is unlikely to work on Iran.
- 20 January, 2012 -- US military chief holds talks in Israel on Iran
The U.S. military's top general conducted an intense string of closed-door talks with Israeli leaders Friday, amid apparent disagreements between the two countries over how to respond to Iran's disputed nuclear program.
- 1 August, 2012 -- Iran, Syria top Panetta’s agenda in Israel
Israel's threats to attack Iran and the violence convulsing Syria top the agenda of U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta's meetings Wednesday with Israeli government leaders.