The 57-member Organisation of Islamic Cooperation suspended Syria in a meeting attended by its staunch ally Iran, in a move hailed early Thursday by the United States as one that sends "a strong message" to Damascus.
- 28 July, 2012 -- Saudi campaign raises $72.3 mn for Syrians
A five-day Saudi fundraising campaign to support the people in Syria has raised more than $72.33 million, the kingdom's Interior Minister Prince Ahmed bin Abdul Aziz was quoted as saying Saturday.
- 5 August, 2009 -- Defiant Iran president takes oath
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is sworn in for a second term as president of Iran, amid continuing post-election protests.
- 5 August, 2012 -- Saudi invites Iran for extraordinary Muslim summit
Saudi King Abdullah invited Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for an extraordinary summit of Muslim leaders to be held this month in the holy city of Mecca, state news agency SPA reported Sunday.
- 6 August, 2012 -- Iran president to attend Saudi summit: aide
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is to attend an extraordinary summit of Muslim leaders in the holy city of Mecca next week at the invitation of the Saudi king, an aide said on Monday.
- 5 February, 2013 -- Iran president visits Egypt in warming of ties
CAIRO (AP) — Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad discussed the crisis in Syria with his Egyptian counterpart Tuesday in the first visit by an Iranian leader to Cairo in more than three decades, marking a historic departure from years of frigid ties between the regional heavyweights.