The noise is unmistakable and strikes fear into those on the ground: then it appears, the sinister silhouette of an Mi-24 gunship, scanning for targets so it can unleash its terrible firepower.
- 1 September, 2012 -- Freedom and fear in Syrian rebel town
Residents of this rebel rear base north of the key battleground of Aleppo were cleaning up on Saturday after a Syrian regime air strike killed at least 12 people.
- 25 August, 2011 -- Rebels target Gaddafi’s hometown
Rebel forces focus their efforts on several towns controlled by fighters loyal to Col Gaddafi, including his hometown of Sirte, amid fears of an impending humanitarian crisis.
- 3 May, 2012 -- Baba Amr, Syria’s ghost town of rubble
A terrorist haven in the eyes of the Syrian regime but "heart of the revolution" for its foes, Baba Amr is now a ghost town where residents move silently among the rubble of their homes.
- 27 September, 2012 -- Syrian military’s text to rebels: ‘Game over’
Cellphones in Syria rang, buzzed and chirped Thursday with an ominous text message from the military to members of the armed rebellion: "Game over."
- 26 March, 2012 -- Sermin, a Syrian town left reeling in shock
The stench of death hangs over the northern Syrian town of Sermin two days after a fierce assault by government troops who methodically tracked down and killed rebels and those suspected of backing them.