Muslims are starting their annual hajj pilgrimage by ascending Mount Arafat in Saudi Arabia on a day pilgrims believe offers them a chance to repent their sins.
- 25 November, 2009 -- Rainstorms hamper Hajj pilgrimage
Saudi officials warn pilgrims to take care as heavy rains lash the first day of the annual Muslim pilgrimage, the Hajj.
- 26 October, 2012 -- Muslim pilgrims stone devil in symbolic hajj rite
Millions of pilgrims in Saudi Arabia on Friday furiously cast pebbles in a symbolic stoning of the devil, carrying out a final rite of hajj, as Muslims around the world celebrated the start of Islam's biggest holiday, the Feast of Sacrifice.
- 11 February, 2009 -- China to build Mecca rail system
China is to build a new railway system linking the main sites of the annual Muslim pilgrimage, the Hajj, in Saudi Arabia.
- 17 June, 2012 -- Saudi king in Mecca for crown prince’s burial
The aged king of Saudi Arabia led a burial ceremony Sunday for his brother, Crown Prince Nayef Abdul-Aziz, in the holy city of Mecca before his internment following evening prayers. He was the second heir to the throne to die outside the country in les...
- 3 November, 2009 -- Saudi warning over Hajj politics
Saudi Arabia warns against any attempt to politicise the Muslim Hajj pilgrimage in an apparent challenge to Iran.