Syria's powerful ally Hezbollah was accused Tuesday by Lebanese political opponents of playing a role in the assassination of a top intelligence officer who used his post to fight Syrian meddling in Lebanon.
- 21 October, 2012 -- Lebanon protesters try to storm government palace
The funeral for Lebanon's slain intelligence chief descended into chaos Sunday as soldiers fired tear gas at protesters who tried to storm the government palace, directing their rage at a leadership they consider puppets of a murderous Syrian regime.
- 23 October, 2012 -- Stolen car used in Beirut’s bombing
Lebanon's police chief says the car used in the Beirut bombing that killed a top anti-Syrian intelligence chief was stolen more than a year ago.
- 21 October, 2012 -- Beirut boosts security ahead of general’s funeral
Lebanese security forces are setting up road blocks and cordoning off Beirut's central Martyrs' Square ahead of a public funeral for a top intelligence official who was assassinated in a massive car bombing.
- 1 February, 2013 -- Syria threatens retaliation for Israeli airstrike
BEIRUT (AP) — Syria threatened Thursday to retaliate for an Israeli airstrike and its ally Iran said the Jewish state will regret the attack.
- 24 May, 2012 -- UN: Syrian forces, opposition committing crimes
Syrian government forces and anti-government armed groups are both carrying out unlawful killings, torturing opponents and abusing children in the 15-month-old uprising, a U.N.-appointed panel of human rights experts said Thursday, though it underlined...