A shadowy jihadi group believed to be linked to al-Qaida fought alongside rebels who seized a government missile defense base in Syria on Friday, activists said, heightening fears that extremists are taking advantage of the chaos to acquire advanced weapons.
- 15 October, 2012 -- Landmark mosque in Aleppo burned in fighting
Syrian President Bashar Assad ordered on Monday immediate repairs to a historic mosque in the city of Aleppo after fierce fighting between rebels and regime forces set parts of the compound on fire over the weekend.
- 28 September, 2012 -- Activists: Heavy fighting in Syria’s largest city
Activists say Syrian troops and rebels are fighting some of the fiercest battles in the northern city of Aleppo.
- 27 September, 2012 -- Syria tells rebels on mobile phones: "Game over"
Syrian authorities on Thursday sent text messages over cell phones nationwide with a message for rebels fighting President Bashar Assad's regime: "Game over."
- 4 October, 2012 -- Turkey fires at Syria after deadly shelling
Turkish artillery fired on Syrian targets Wednesday after shelling from Syria struck a border village in Turkey, killing five civilians, sharply escalating tensions between the two neighbors and prompting NATO to convene an emergency meeting.
- 30 November, 2012 -- Syria: Airport road reopens but Internet still cut
Syrian rebels battled regime troops south of the capital Friday and Internet and telephone lines were cut for a second day, but the government reopened the road to Damascus' airport in a sign that the fighting could be calming, activists said.