Turkish artillery fired on Syrian targets Wednesday after shelling from Syria struck a border village in Turkey, killing five civilians, sharply escalating tensions between the two neighbors and prompting NATO to convene an emergency meeting.
- 12 October, 2012 -- Syria activists say jihadis seize missile base
A shadowy jihadi group believed to be linked to al-Qaida fought alongside rebels who seized a government missile defense base in Syria on Friday, activists said, heightening fears that extremists are taking advantage of the chaos to acquire advanced we...
- 15 October, 2012 -- Landmark mosque in Aleppo burned in fighting
Syrian President Bashar Assad ordered on Monday immediate repairs to a historic mosque in the city of Aleppo after fierce fighting between rebels and regime forces set parts of the compound on fire over the weekend.
- 28 September, 2012 -- Activists: Heavy fighting in Syria’s largest city
Activists say Syrian troops and rebels are fighting some of the fiercest battles in the northern city of Aleppo.
- 3 October, 2012 -- Syrian TV: 3 explosions rock central Aleppo
Three powerful explosions rocked the main square in a government-controlled central district of Aleppo on Wednesday, the Syrian state-run TV said. Activists reported multiple casualties and heavy material damage.
- 6 April, 2013 -- Egyptian court drops lawsuit to ban comedy show
CAIRO (AP) — A Cairo court on Saturday dismissed a lawsuit filed by an Islamist lawyer demanding that a popular Egyptian satirist's TV show be banned for allegedly insulting the president and containing excessive sexual innuendo.