BAGHDAD (AP) — The leader of the extremist group that seized much of northern Iraq and Syria called on Muslims worldwide on Tuesday to join the battle and help build an Islamic state in the newly conquered territory.
- 27 September, 2014 New wave of US air strikes in Syria Washington (AFP) - US aircraft have launched a fresh wave of bombing raids against Islamic State militants in Syria, in the fifth consecutive day of air strikes in the country, a defense official told AFP on Friday.
- 29 June, 2014 Al-Qaida breakaway formally declares Islamic State BAGHDAD (AP) — The al-Qaida breakaway group that has seized much of northern Syria and huge tracks of neighboring Iraq formally declared the creation of an Islamic state on Sunday in the territory under its control.
- 5 December, 2013 Insight: Beheadings and spies help al Qaeda gain ground in Syria By Khaled Yacoub Oweis AMMAN (Reuters) - Armed with machine guns, black-clad al Qaeda fighters drove their pick-ups calmly into the northern Syrian town and took over its imposing agriculture ministry building. The scene in Termanin, recounted by an activist who witnessed it last week, […]
- 12 November, 2017 U.S. to promote 'universal access' to fossil fuels at climate talks By Valerie Volcovici WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States hopes to promote wider use of fossil fuels at a global meeting on climate change next week, a White House official said, reflecting the gaping divide between Washington and the rest of the ...
- 1 July, 2014 As caliphate is declared, Iraqi troops battle for Tikrit Iraqi troops battled to dislodge an al Qaeda splinter group from the city of Tikrit on Monday after its leader was declared caliph of a new Islamic state in lands seized this month across a swath of Iraq and Syria. Underscoring rising tensions in the r...