Nineteen kidnapped Afghans released, 12 more could be freed soon: officials

By Mustafa Andalib GHAZNI, Afghanistan (Reuters) – Nineteen Afghan men from among 31 kidnapped by gunmen from a bus in February were freed on Monday by their captors, and the rest could be released soon, officials said. The men are Hazaras, members of a largely Shi’ite Muslim ethnic minority persecuted under the Taliban movement’s Sunni Islamist rule, although sectarian violence has been rare since the Taliban was ousted by a U.S.-led invasion in 2001. The kidnapping increased anxiety among the Hazaras, who fear becoming targets in a new, sectarian phase of Afghanistan’s long war with Taliban insurgents and other Islamist militants. President Ashraf Ghani said government efforts led to the release of the 19 passengers.

Related Posts

  • Report: Iran forcefully deporting Afghan refugees20 November, 2013 Report: Iran forcefully deporting Afghan refugees KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Iran is forcefully deporting Afghans by the thousands in violation of its international obligation to protect refugees, said a Human Rights Watch report released Wednesday.
  • Afghan president demands Pakistan act against Taliban2 February, 2018 Afghan president demands Pakistan act against Taliban Afghan President Ashraf Ghani on Friday accused neighboring Pakistan of failing to move against the Taliban and pledged a new security plan for Kabul after hundreds of people were killed and wounded in two deadly attacks on the capital last month. Afg...
  • Top Asian News 4:49 a.m. GMT23 December, 2015 Top Asian News 4:49 a.m. GMT KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — When Afghanistan's President Ashraf Ghani took office, it ushered in a period of hope for the country's traumatized people that decades of violence would soon end. But just one year later, a mood of crisis prevails: British troops are being sent to help […]
  • Afghan former warlord Hekmatyar rallies supporters in Kabul5 May, 2017 Afghan former warlord Hekmatyar rallies supporters in Kabul By Hamid Shalizi KABUL (Reuters) - Thousands of supporters of Afghan former warlord Gulbuddin Hekmatyar rallied in Kabul's main football stadium on Friday, making a stark demonstration of force in the city his fighters helped destroy during civil war ...
  • Afghanistan extends ceasefire after suicide attack kills 2516 June, 2018 Afghanistan extends ceasefire after suicide attack kills 25 An Afghan government ceasefire with the Taliban was extended Saturday despite a suicide bombing killing at least 25, which marred an otherwise remarkable Eid holiday that has seen militants hugging security forces and civilians in celebration of the un...

Leave a Reply

Read the original at Middle East News Headlines - Yahoo! News.