Only Iran is confronting Islamic State, paramilitary chief says

The general in charge of Iran’s paramilitary activities in the Middle East said the United States and other powers were failing to confront Islamic State, and only Iran was committed to the task, a news agency on Monday reported. Major General Qassem Soleimani, commander of the elite Quds Force responsible for protecting the Islamic Republic’s interests abroad, has become a familiar face on the battlefields of Iraq, where he often outranks local commanders. “Today, in the fight against this dangerous phenomenon, nobody is present except Iran,” the Tasnim news agency quoted Soleimani as saying on Sunday in reference to Islamic State.

Related Posts

  • Hezbollah leader makes rare public appearance13 November, 2013 Hezbollah leader makes rare public appearance BEIRUT (AP) — Failure to reach a deal between Iran and world powers over Tehran's nuclear program could lead to a war in the Middle East, the leader of Lebanon's Hezbollah group said Wednesday.
  • Iran will fire ‘roaring missiles’ if threatened: Tasnim news4 February, 2017 Iran will fire ‘roaring missiles’ if threatened: Tasnim news A Revolutionary Guards commander said on Saturday that Iran would use its missiles against enemies of the Islamic Republic if they threaten the country's security. "We are working day and night to protect Iran’s security. If we see smallest misstep from the enemies, our roaring […]
  • Iran ready to give U.S. 'slap in the face': commander22 February, 2017 Iran ready to give U.S. 'slap in the face': commander The United States should expect a "strong slap in the face" if it underestimates Iran's defensive capabilities, a commander of the elite Revolutionary Guards said on Wednesday, as Tehran concluded war games. Since taking office last month, U.S. President Donald Trump has pledged to get […]
  • Defying Trump, Iran says will boost missile capabilities22 September, 2017 Defying Trump, Iran says will boost missile capabilities By Bozorgmehr Sharafedin LONDON (Reuters) - Iran will strengthen its missile capabilities and not seek any country's permission, President Hassan Rouhani said on Friday rejecting demands from U.S. President Donald Trump. Rouhani spoke at a military p...
  • Report: Iran nuclear talks to resume in June18 May, 2014 Report: Iran nuclear talks to resume in June Official state news agency quotes senior negotiator claiming next round of negotiations between Islamic republic and world powers to begin on June 16-20.

Leave a Reply

Read the original at Middle East News Headlines - Yahoo! News.