BEIRUT (AP) — Conflicts and violence worldwide displaced a record 38 million people in 2014, with 2.2 million Iraqis alone forced to flee the Islamic State group, a Norwegian humanitarian group report released Wednesday revealed.
- 22 June, 2017 Iraqis: IS blew up mosque in 'formal declaration of defeat' MOSUL, Iraq (AP) — With their control of Mosul slipping away, Islamic State militants decided to send a message of defiance: They blew up the 12th century al-Nuri Mosque, along with its famous leaning minaret.
- 27 September, 2014 New wave of US air strikes in Syria Washington (AFP) - US aircraft have launched a fresh wave of bombing raids against Islamic State militants in Syria, in the fifth consecutive day of air strikes in the country, a defense official told AFP on Friday.
- 18 March, 2017 Iraq forces say near Mosul mosque where IS declared 'caliphate' Elite Iraqi forces said they were battling house by house in the Old City of Mosul on Saturday, inching towards the mosque where the Islamic State group proclaimed its "caliphate" in 2014. Iraq began an operation on February 19 to retake west Mosul, w...
- 19 February, 2015 Some signs of tension emerge among Islamic State militants BEIRUT (AP) — As the Islamic State group tries to expand and take root across the Middle East, it is struggling in Syria — part of its heartland — where it has stalled or even lost ground while fighting multiple enemies on several fronts.
- 3 November, 2016 Islamic State group leader rallies his fighters in Mosul IRBIL, Iraq (AP) — The shadowy leader of the Islamic State group has released a new message urging his followers to keep up the fight for Mosul as they defend the city against a major offensive aimed at routing the militants from their last urban stronghold in Iraq.