ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Greek authorities say a boat carrying 150 to 200 migrants has been located adrift in the eastern Mediterranean Sea, and two merchant ships have reached it to offer help or evacuate the vessel if necessary.
- 1 July, 2014 Greek authorities rescue 140 migrants at sea ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Greek authorities say they have rescued 140 people whose boat broke down in the Aegean Sea as they were trying to enter the country illegally.
- 9 June, 2015 Hundreds of migrants arrive by boat on Greek islands ATHENS, Greece (AP) — Hundreds of people using small boats and dinghies have arrived over the past day on the eastern Aegean islands near the Turkish coast, Greek authorities said Tuesday, part of a surge of tens of thousands of migrants landing on Greek shores in recent months.
- 20 August, 2015 Syrian refugee ship arrives on Greek mainland, migrants move on By Michele Kambas PIRAEUS, Greece (Reuters) - A car ferry carrying just over 2,400 Syrian refugees arrived on the Greek mainland on Thursday as a wave of migrants fleeing conflict and poverty continued unabated, straining a country already in economic crisis. Many of the Syrians made 'V […]
- 4 September, 2015 Europe asylum laws face scrutiny in migrant crisis Europe is facing its biggest refugee crisis since World War II, but the response by the 28-member European Union is hamstrung by a web of complicated rules governing asylum seekers. Designed to reassure Europeans worried over any massive influx of immi...
- 7 July, 2015 Migrant sailboat sinks in Aegean; one dead, 15 missing By Lefteris Karagiannopoulos ATHENS (Reuters) - One person died and at least 15 were missing in the Aegean sea on Tuesday after a sailboat carrying migrants sank in waters between Turkey and Greece, Greek authorities said. Greece's maritime ministry sa...