ATHENS, Greece (AP) — At least 11 migrants died in the eastern Aegean Sea Wednesday in five separate incidents, including a large shipwreck from which 242 others were rescued by the Greek coast guard.
Powered by WPeMatico
- 6 October, 2015 EU offers to ease Turkey migrant burden in return for tighter border controls The EU has offered Turkey a plan under which it would resettle more refugees, but only if Ankara establishes new camps and boosts its coastguard to slow the flow of people to Europe, officials said Tuesday. Brussels is also ready to give Turkey more money to deal with the burden of 2.2 […]
- 8 January, 2016 The Latest: Migrant arrivals in Netherlands doubled in 2015 ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — The latest on the flow of migrants through Europe. All times local:
- 3 November, 2015 Rescue volunteers cry for help on Greek island's tragic shores On a rocky beach on the Greek island of Lesbos where the bodies of drowned migrants wash up almost daily, exhausted rescue volunteers hold their heads in despair. "The situation is crazy," says Essam Daod, a Palestinian doctor working with Israel-based humanitarian agency IsraAid. "There […]
- 26 October, 2015 Bodies of two migrants wash up on Greek islands The bodies of two migrants were found on the Greek islands of Lesbos and Chios on Monday, after accidents aboard two boats bound for Europe, according to Greek police. A 21-year-old woman drowned after falling off a boat near the island of Chios, according to accounts from 35 survivors […]
- 16 October, 2015 EU, Turkey strike migrant deal as Afghan shot dead The EU and Turkey reached a deal on Thursday to stem the flow of refugees, as an Afghan migrant was shot dead at the Bulgarian-Turkish border in a dangerous new turn in the crisis. The death, believed to be the first of its kind during the crisis, forced Bulgaria's premier to fly home […]