The European Union’s current relocation scheme for refugees is “not enough” to address the scope of the problem, the head of the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) said on Monday. UN High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres said the current EU scheme to share out 160,000 refugees from Italy and Greece over the next two years had to be broadened and “more legal opportunities” had to be provided to exiles. “You cannot have a technocratic approach to relocation,” he told a news conference in Athens.
4 September, 2015 Europe asylum laws face scrutiny in migrant crisis Europe is facing its biggest refugee crisis since World War II, but the response by the 28-member European Union is hamstrung by a web of complicated rules governing asylum seekers. Designed to reassure Europeans worried over any massive influx of immi...
9 October, 2015 UN backs EU military action against migrant smugglers The UN Security Council on Friday approved a European military operation to seize and destroy boats used by migrant smugglers in the Mediterranean after thousands died in dangerous crossings. European warships on Wednesday launched Operation Sophia to seize traffickers' boats in […]
15 June, 2015 Syrians, Iraqis protest after fight in camp on Greek island MYTILENE, Greece (AP) — Hundreds of Syrian and Iraqi refugees, including women and children, protested Monday on the eastern Greek island of Lesvos, demanding better living conditions, the faster processing of their registration and to be housed separately from Afghan arrivals […]
7 October, 2013 Italian migrant death toll reaches at least 194 LAMPEDUSA, Italy (AP) — Pairs of divers plumbed calmer seas off the Italian island of Lampedusa on Sunday to recover the corpses of would-be asylum seekers who died when a fishing boat packed with 500 African migrants capsized within sight of land. By nightfall, 83 bodies had been […]