BEIRUT (AP) — Iran will take part in international talks on Syria for the first time this week, giving it a voice in the effort to find a resolution to the more than 4-year-old civil war that has so far defied even the slightest progress toward peace.
Powered by WPeMatico
- 28 October, 2015 U.S. steps up diplomacy, rebel support to end Syrian 'hell': Kerry By Arshad Mohammed and David Alexander WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is intensifying its diplomacy to end the "hell" of Syria’s civil war even as it increases support for moderate rebels fighting Islamic State militants, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on […]
- 24 October, 2015 Russia, US discuss organizing Syria political process DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Saturday discussed ways of organizing a political process between the Syrian government and its opponents, a day after the two met in Vienna along with the foreign ministers of […]
- 13 March, 2016 US, France warn Syria regime ahead of new peace talks The United States and France warned the Syrian regime on Sunday against trying to disrupt the fragile ceasefire as the warring sides prepared for fresh peace talks to end the brutal conflict. With the five-year anniversary of the violence looming, the main players in the Syrian conflict […]
- 5 December, 2013 Insight: Beheadings and spies help al Qaeda gain ground in Syria By Khaled Yacoub Oweis AMMAN (Reuters) - Armed with machine guns, black-clad al Qaeda fighters drove their pick-ups calmly into the northern Syrian town and took over its imposing agriculture ministry building. The scene in Termanin, recounted by an activist who witnessed it last week, […]
- 13 November, 2015 Devil is in the detail before new round of Syria peace talks By John Irish and Karin Strohecker VIENNA (Reuters) - Two weeks after they jointly called for a political solution to Syria's civil war, foreign ministers and senior officials from Russia, the United States, Europe and the Middle East struggled on Friday to turn that idea into a more […]