BEIRUT (AP) — Iran will take part in international talks on Syria for the first time this week, giving it a voice in the effort to find a resolution to the more than 4-year-old civil war that has so far defied even the slightest progress toward peace.
Powered by WPeMatico
- 28 October, 2015 U.S. steps up diplomacy, rebel support to end Syrian 'hell': Kerry By Arshad Mohammed and David Alexander WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is intensifying its diplomacy to end the "hell" of Syria’s civil war even as it increases support for moderate rebels fighting Islamic State militants, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on […]
- 24 October, 2015 Russia, US discuss organizing Syria political process DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Saturday discussed ways of organizing a political process between the Syrian government and its opponents, a day after the two met in Vienna along with the foreign ministers of […]
- 5 December, 2013 Insight: Beheadings and spies help al Qaeda gain ground in Syria By Khaled Yacoub Oweis AMMAN (Reuters) - Armed with machine guns, black-clad al Qaeda fighters drove their pick-ups calmly into the northern Syrian town and took over its imposing agriculture ministry building. The scene in Termanin, recounted by an activist who witnessed it last week, […]
- 13 March, 2016 US, France warn Syria regime ahead of new peace talks The United States and France warned the Syrian regime on Sunday against trying to disrupt the fragile ceasefire as the warring sides prepared for fresh peace talks to end the brutal conflict. With the five-year anniversary of the violence looming, the main players in the Syrian conflict […]
- 10 December, 2016 After Aleppo falls, where next for Syria? While seizing control of Aleppo will not end the Syrian war, Bashar al-Assad's regime and its Russian and Iranian allies have more control now than at any time since the conflict began, experts say. The United States, European powers and Gulf states gathered Saturday for talks with […]