Decision to keep current force of 9,800 troops through most of 2016 announced as Taliban fighters step up attacks.
Powered by WPeMatico
- 9 December, 2015 Taliban attacks heavily fortified Kandahar airport At least 14 people and eight fighters killed after simultaneous attacks on Afghan forces in southern military compound.Powered by WPeMatico
- 16 October, 2015 Military families on edge as U.S. delays Afghanistan troop withdrawal Lauren Alaquinez will soon say goodbye to her husband for the fifth time in three years, when he deploys once again to Afghanistan with the U.S. Army Special Forces. As a military family, Alaquinez and her four children know what they've signed up for. "He spends more of his time in that […]
- 10 June, 2016 US widens military role in Afghanistan to fight Taliban White House says plan includes "advice and assistance" as well as "occasional" operations against Taliban forces.
- 15 April, 2016 Afghanistan: Scores of Taliban dead in Kunduz attack Police chief says at least 40 Taliban fighters killed after launching offensive to seize key city of Kunduz.Powered by WPeMatico
- 30 May, 2016 Afghanistan: More than 50 police killed in Helmand First major offensive by Taliban fighters since group appointed new leader leaves dozens dead in southern province.