MOSCOW (AP) — Whatever effect Russia’s airstrikes are having on the ground in Syria, their impact at home is clear: They prove to Russians that their country is showing up the United States and reclaiming its rightful place as a global power.
Powered by WPeMatico
- 21 March, 2013 Obama skeptical of Assad claim on chemical weapons JERUSALEM (AP) — President Barack Obama said Wednesday that the United States is investigating whether chemical weapons have been deployed in Syria, but he's "deeply skeptical" of claims by Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime that rebel forces were behind such an attack.
- 26 February, 2016 Make-or-break Syria truce tests Russia-US cooperation After five years of bloodshed and hundreds of thousands of deaths, Syria is less than a day away from an unlikely ceasefire that could make or break international efforts to end the war. In Washington, it is hard to find anyone who believes the guns will truly fall silent on Saturday, […]
- 24 October, 2015 Russia offers air cover for anti-Assad rebels, urges polls Russia said Saturday it was ready to provide air support for Western-backed moderate rebels battling both jihadists and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad as Moscow presses on with its diplomatic offensive over the conflict. Speaking after a surprise summit between Syria's embattled leader […]
- 15 November, 2015 Obama urges Russia to join renewed effort to eliminate Islamic State By Matt Spetalnick and Dasha Afanasieva BELEK, Turkey (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama vowed on Sunday to step up efforts to eliminate Islamic State and prevent more attacks like those in Paris, while urging Russia's Vladimir Putin to focus on combating the jihadist group in […]
- 12 November, 2017 Ex-intelligence chiefs: Trump is being played by Putin and US is in 'peril' Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump are seen during a meeting of world leaders at the 25th Apec summit, in Da Nang, Vietnam. Two former US intelligence chiefs have said Donald Trump poses “a peril” to the US because he is vulnerable to being “played” by R...