The trickle of detainees leaving Guantanamo Bay continued Friday with the repatriation of a Kuwaiti man, as the general overseeing the military prison denied claims the Pentagon is stalling on shutting it down. Faez Mohammed Ahmed Al-Kandari became the latest transfer, sent back to Kuwait after the United States determined he no longer posed a national security threat. President Barack Obama pledged to shut Guantanamo when he took office in 2009, but his efforts have been repeatedly thwarted by Congress.
ISIS claims that the attack against the tour bus in Egypt’s capital came at al-Baghdadi’s encouragement. The attack failed to harm any of the tourists, who were reportedly Israeli Arabs.
By Joseph Nasr COLOGNE, Germany (Reuters) – The heavy police presence outside Cologne’s Gothic cathedral is not enough to make 16-year-old Lisa Elsner feel safe going out in a city-center still reeling from mass assaults on women on New Year’s Eve. The area is a bustling hub not only for many of Cologne’s 1.2 million people but also for the tourists seeking out its historic sights, and the thousands of revelers due in town for days of raucous Rhineland carnival – now just four weeks away. The German Interior Ministry said on Friday that, out of 32 suspects identified so far, 27 were from North Africa or the Middle East, and 22 were seeking asylum.
Denmark is amending a proposal to confiscate refugees' possessions to pay for their stay by raising the amount they will be allowed to keep after coming under fire from the United Nations refugee agency over its immigration policies. Immigration Minister Inger Stojberg told local news agency Ritzau on Friday that the amount refugees would be able to keep has been increased to 10,000 Danish crowns ($1,460) from the previously proposed 3,000 crowns. Several organizations, including the UN High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) have censured the Nordic country for the proposal as well as others that will delay family reunification and make acquiring refugee and residence status more difficult.
By Noah Barkin and Paul Carrel BERLIN (Reuters) – Nearly two dozen asylum seekers are among those suspected of involvement in mass assaults and muggings on New Year's Eve in Cologne, officials said on Friday, intensifying a debate about Germany's welcome for hundreds of thousands of migrants. The assaults have shocked many Germans and led to calls for tougher laws to punish migrants who commit crimes. On Friday, Cologne police chief Wolfgang Albers, who had been heavily criticism for his handling of the violence and police communications afterwards, was dismissed.
Dudu Bakal, father of Alon Bakal, welcomed the news that the terrorist who murdered his son was dead. “It’s good to know they took him down,” he said. Razi Shaaban, brother of cab driver Amin Shaaban, murdered by Melhem later in the day, said, “It’s good that they reached him, but it’s still difficult because my brother left behind 11 children.”
Nashat Melhem, who perpetrated the shooting terror attack at the Simta bar in Tel Aviv on January 1, was shot and killed by police counter-terrorism forces inside a mosque in the Wadi Ara area town of Arara.