Iraq’s prime minister says government forces and their allies will retake control of Mosul by the end of the year.
- 25 August, 2016 Syrian army and rebels agree to end Daraya siege Thousands of rebels and residents to exit Daraya in deal that cedes control of besieged suburb to government forces.
- 30 March, 2016 Can Iraq make headway against corruption? Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi is under growing pressure to put an end to rampant corruption.Powered by WPeMatico
- 5 September, 2016 Syria's war: ISIL 'driven out' from Turkey-Syria border Turkish forces and allied Syrian rebels clear area between the towns of Azaz and Jarablus, Turkey's prime minister says.
- 22 June, 2017 Iraqis: IS blew up mosque in 'formal declaration of defeat' MOSUL, Iraq (AP) — With their control of Mosul slipping away, Islamic State militants decided to send a message of defiance: They blew up the 12th century al-Nuri Mosque, along with its famous leaning minaret.
- 26 August, 2016 Syria: Evacuation of Daraya begins in deal to end siege First buses of evacuees leave besieged Damascus suburb, as rebels prepare to cede control of area to government forces.