PALERMO, Sicily (AP) — Two Eritrean baby boys were recovering well at a hospital in Palermo on Wednesday, a week after they were born prematurely in Libya and then — at only 5 days old — put on a cramped boat headed to Europe's shores.
- 5 April, 2015 Italy rescues 1,500 migrants in Mediterranean in one day Some 1,500 migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean to Italy in five different boats were rescued in one day, Italian coastguards said. Four coastguard vessels and an Italian navy ship intervened Saturday to save three large boats carrying migrants o...
- 19 April, 2015 Survivor: Smugglers locked hundreds in hold of capsized boat ROME (AP) — A smuggler's boat crammed with hundreds of people overturned off Libya's coast as rescuers approached, causing what could be the Mediterranean's deadliest known migrant tragedy and intensifying pressure on the European Union Sunday to finally meet demands for decisive action.
- 19 July, 2016 Italy says 3,200 boat migrants rescued Tuesday, one body recovered Some 3,200 migrants were plucked from overcrowded boats off the coast of Libya on Tuesday and one dead body was recovered, Italy's coast guard said, as people smugglers operating in Libya took advantage of calm seas and warm weather. A coast guard spokesman said the smugglers had sent at […]
- 12 April, 2015 Italy picks up 700 boat migrants, says rescue operations ongoing Italian ships have picked up almost 700 migrants in seven inflatable boats and further rescue operations are underway as calm seas favored departures from Libya for the Italian coast, the coast guard said on Sunday. Italian navy and coast guard vessels...
- 6 August, 2015 More than 200 feared dead in sinking of migrant boat By Wladimir Pantaleone PALERMO, Sicily (Reuters) - Hopes faded of finding more survivors on Thursday from a shipwreck in which 200 migrants are feared drowned, as rescue ships were called to the aid of more migrant boats in the same area of the Mediterranean. "We are witnessing a […]