BEIRUT (AP) — The young Syrian activist was beaten, prevented from going to the toilet and saw her cellmates taken for rounds of whipping when she was held for more than a month in several government detention facilities.
- 3 September, 2016 Stalled talks, rising violence jeopardize UN Syria mediation GENEVA (AP) — With war trumping peace efforts in recent weeks in Syria, U.N.-mediated talks sputtered over another missed deadline to resume this past week. Analysts say patience is waning and prospects for a deal brokered by the United Nations are wearing increasingly thin.
- 2 October, 2013 Amnesty fears for disappeared Syria rights lawyer Beirut (AFP) - Rights group Amnesty International said Wednesday that it fears for the health of prominent Syrian human rights lawyer Khalil Maatuq and his colleague, a year after they disappeared.
- 15 May, 2017 Assad using large crematorium to hide mass atrocities at Syrian prison, claims US The US has claimed Syria’s Bashar al-Assad has constructed a large crematorium and is using it to dispose of the bodies of up to 50 political prisoners it is said to be executing every week. Amnesty International reported in February that an average of 20 to 50 people were hanged […]
- 10 December, 2013 Gunmen abduct Syria’s leading human rights lawyer NABEK, Syria (AP) — Masked gunmen abducted a leading Syrian human rights lawyer and three other prominent activists in a rebel-held Damascus suburb Tuesday in a new sign that al-Qaida linked militants who have joined the fight against President Bashar Assad are trying to silence […]
- 12 November, 2013 Syrian opposition group approves partial cabinet ISTANBUL (AP) — Syria's main Western-backed opposition group has approved a partial cabinet charged with administering rebel-held territories inside Syria.