River Gash in Kassala state burst its banks flooding entire villages inhabited by farmers and forcing thousands to flee.
- 3 June, 2016 France declares flood emergency as death toll rises Two killed in France after River Seine reaches highest water level in 35 years, while Germany reports 10 deaths.
- 29 June, 2016 Tens of thousands flee fighting in South Sudan Fighting has displaced up to 70,000 amid concerns of soaring food insecurity.
- 23 September, 2016 Over 160 bodies recovered from Egypt refugee shipwreck Officials say bodies of 162 people have been pulled from the Mediterranean, amid fears death toll could rise further.
- 16 August, 2016 Five killed in fresh Kashmir clashes At least 20 injured in unrest between protesters and Indian troops, as death toll since last month rises to 63.
- 14 August, 2016 Scores 'hacked to death' in machete attack in DR Congo At least 64 bodies recovered near Beni town in North Kivu, but local authorities warn death toll could rise.