Militants claim to have downed a government warplane near ancient city. Syrian army says it sent reinforcement.
- 6 April, 2017 Silent on gas attack, Assad blames Israel, blasts Trump Syria's president says after the government failed to reach 'results' with opposition groups, there's 'no option except victory.'
- 21 August, 2017 In blow to Iran, Egypt becomes surprise new player in Syria To Israel's delight, Cairo's involvement is already showing results
- 21 July, 2017 Hezbollah, Syrian army launch offensive to clear militants from Syrian-Lebanese border A military commander close to Syrian President Assad says the operation is targeting insurgents from the Nusra Front
- 13 November, 2016 Nimrud, site of ancient Assyrian city, liberated by Iraqi army Islamic State militants have been driven from the town, an Iraqi military statement says.
- 4 September, 2017 Syrian regime troops close to breaking three-year ISIS city siege Recapture of the oil-rich province's capital, Deir el-Zour, would be a drastic setback for the Islamist group as its self-declared caliphate continues to crumble