Militants claim to have downed a government warplane near ancient city. Syrian army says it sent reinforcement.
- 15 October, 2016 Egypt retaliates after losing 12 soldiers, kills over 100 militants in Sinai The airstrike comes a day after ISIS claimed responsibility for killing 12 members of Egypt's military in central Sinai – the biggest offensive in months.
- 13 November, 2016 Nimrud, site of ancient Assyrian city, liberated by Iraqi army Islamic State militants have been driven from the town, an Iraqi military statement says.
- 21 October, 2016 ISIS attacks Iraqi city of Kirkuk, takes 550 families in Mosul to use as human shields Militants launch a major counter-attack as Iraqi and Kurdish forces intensify battle for Mosul, ISIS' last stronghold.
- 26 October, 2016 The inconvenient reality behind the long, messy battle for Mosul: a special report The mainly Shi'ite Iraqi Army and the ill-equipped Kurdish Peshmerga are fighting independently and on separate fronts in an effort to recapture the Sunni city from ISIS ■ Part 1
- 21 December, 2016 Turkey: 14 soldiers, 138 ISIS militants killed in battle in northern Syria Battle around town of al-Bab was one of deadliest since Turkey launched its Syrian operation.