Militants claim to have downed a government warplane near ancient city. Syrian army says it sent reinforcement.
- 6 April, 2017 Silent on gas attack, Assad blames Israel, blasts Trump Syria's president says after the government failed to reach 'results' with opposition groups, there's 'no option except victory.'
- 27 November, 2017 After Egypt Mosque massacre, 40 defense ministers pledge support for Saudi-led Muslim military alliance Top defense officials from 40 Muslim-majority nation's met in Riyadh on Sunday to reaffirm their military alliance in the face of Egypt's deadliest terror attack in its modern history
- 21 August, 2017 In blow to Iran, Egypt becomes surprise new player in Syria To Israel's delight, Cairo's involvement is already showing results
- 21 July, 2017 Hezbollah, Syrian army launch offensive to clear militants from Syrian-Lebanese border A military commander close to Syrian President Assad says the operation is targeting insurgents from the Nusra Front
- 13 November, 2016 Nimrud, site of ancient Assyrian city, liberated by Iraqi army Islamic State militants have been driven from the town, an Iraqi military statement says.