Militants claim to have downed a government warplane near ancient city. Syrian army says it sent reinforcement.
- 6 April, 2017 Silent on gas attack, Assad blames Israel, blasts Trump Syria's president says after the government failed to reach 'results' with opposition groups, there's 'no option except victory.'
- 21 July, 2017 Hezbollah, Syrian army launch offensive to clear militants from Syrian-Lebanese border A military commander close to Syrian President Assad says the operation is targeting insurgents from the Nusra Front
- 13 November, 2016 Nimrud, site of ancient Assyrian city, liberated by Iraqi army Islamic State militants have been driven from the town, an Iraqi military statement says.
- 13 April, 2017 U.S. denies Syria’s claim that airstrike hit ISIS gas depot, ‘killing hundreds’ Week after Syria uses gas in attack, drawing massive condemnation, Assad's army says incident in Deir al-Zor proves ISIS 'possess chemical weapons'
- 15 October, 2016 Egypt retaliates after losing 12 soldiers, kills over 100 militants in Sinai The airstrike comes a day after ISIS claimed responsibility for killing 12 members of Egypt's military in central Sinai – the biggest offensive in months.