One person is killed as police battle residents of an impoverished island in the River Nile.
- 16 July, 2017 Egypt says 1 killed, 50 injured in clashes on Nile island CAIRO (AP) — Egyptian police on Sunday fired tear gas to disperse a rock-pelting crowd of residents defending their homes on a Nile River island against bulldozers sent by the government to demolish their illegally-built dwellings. The clashes left one person dead and 50 others injured.
- 10 March, 2013 Egypt’s interior minister won’t allow ‘militias’ CAIRO (AP) — Egypt's interior minister on Sunday declared he would not allow vigilantes or militias to take over police duties, while admitting his police force has been strained by daily protests, clashes and criticism.
- 19 April, 2012 Egypt demonstrators block main Cairo bridge Hundreds of Egyptian demonstrators briefly blocked a main Cairo bridge over the Nile river Thursday to back their call for an end to military rule, a sign of growing concern that the generals might try to cling to power.
- 16 July, 2017 Man killed in Egypt raid on Nile island squatters One person was killed and 56 people were injured in clashes on Sunday as security forces tried to evict squatters from a Nile island, the government and witnesses said. The incident on Warraq island in Cairo came amid a government campaign to remove e...
- 28 April, 2013 Egypt president, judges compromising on reform law CAIRO (AP) — The Egyptian president's office indicated Sunday a compromise has been reached with the judiciary to defuse an uproar over a proposed law that would have forced out thousands of the country's most senior judges.