AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — As Texas' big cities boom like few places in the U.S., Republican Gov. Greg Abbott is trying to rein them in and reassert himself ahead of his 2018 re-election bid, but some of his summer demands are wilting.
- 4 May, 2017 What to know as Texas nears passing 'sanctuary city' law AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — What to know about a Texas bill targeting so-called 'sanctuary cities' that is heading to the desk of Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who has pledged to sign the measure that immigrant-rights activists say will lead to profiling and discrimination.
- 8 June, 2017 Texas governor out to quiet doubts over who's in charge AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Republican Texas Gov. Greg Abbott is demonstrating his power and wants to quiet doubts over who's really calling the shots in the biggest conservative state in America. But that doesn't mean the Legislature he is summoning back to work will deliver on his wishes.
- 7 July, 2017 Funeral held for slain San Antonio police officer SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Speakers at the funeral Friday for a slain San Antonio police officer included Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and the officer's brother, who had been inspired by his sibling to join the force.
- 8 May, 2017 Texas governor signs law banning sanctuary cities The Republican governor of Texas has signed a controversial bill into law banning so-called sanctuary cities and enabling police officers to ask the immigration status of anyone they detain. Greg Abbott took the unusual step of signing the legislation...
- 8 May, 2017 Texas governor signs into law bill to punish 'sanctuary cities' By Jon Herskovitz AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Texas Republican Governor Greg Abbott signed into law on Sunday a measure to punish "sanctuary cities," despite a plea from police chiefs of the state's biggest cities to halt the bill they said would hinder...