The U.S. has said it was prepared to defer to Russia in Syria. Russia is a key backer of Assad
- 6 April, 2017 Silent on gas attack, Assad blames Israel, blasts Trump Syria's president says after the government failed to reach 'results' with opposition groups, there's 'no option except victory.'
- 10 December, 2016 ISIS breaks into Palmyra months after losing it to Assad Militants claim to have downed a government warplane near ancient city. Syrian army says it sent reinforcement.
- 21 August, 2017 In blow to Iran, Egypt becomes surprise new player in Syria To Israel's delight, Cairo's involvement is already showing results
- 16 July, 2017 Syria: Shells hit Russian embassy compound in Damascus Moscow, a strong backer of President Bashar Assad, has been involved in the six-year civil war since 2015
- 29 June, 2017 Syria, Russia accuse U.S. of ‘provocation’ with ‘baseless’ chemical attack claim Assad regime and Moscow claim Washington said Syria is preparing another chemical attack to justify an 'aggression'