Iran drops two soccer players from its national team for having played against Maccabi Tel Aviv.
- 23 May, 2018 NFL owners reignite debate over anthem protests NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced a new policy of issuing fines for players who protest during the national anthem, reigniting the debate over kneeling, anthem protests, and the 1st Amendment.
- 10 August, 2017 Iran bans two soccer stars for playing against Israelis Masoud Shojaei, the national team captain, and Ehsan Haji Safi, a key member of Iran's World Cup-bound team, played with their club team in Greece against Maccabi Tel Aviv
- 5 August, 2017 Iran condemns soccer players who played against Israel Iran’s soccer federation condemns two Iranians who play for a Greek team for participating in a match against an Israeli team.
- 28 August, 2017 Iran excludes soccer player who played against Israeli team Iran's excludes Masoud Shojaei from World Cup qualifiers, but denies it's punishment for him playing against an Israeli club.
- 5 March, 2017 Cabinet Minister: Are we Iran? Heated debate in Cabinet allowing soccer teams to continue to play on the Sabbath. Religious players may have to violate Sabbath or sit out.