U.S. Defense Secretary says Washington prefers diplomacy over war, but is ready to deal with North Korea threat.
- 10 October, 2017 Mattis: Be ready with military options on North Korea U.S. Defense Secretary urges military leaders to be ready with military options to deal with North Korea should diplomacy fail.
- 31 August, 2017 Mattis: There’s still room for diplomacy with North Korea Secretary of Defense says diplomacy still possible in dealing with North Korea's ballistic missile launches.
- 1 December, 2017 Mattis: Diplomacy with North Korea hasn’t failed U.S. Defense Secretary says he still has confidence in diplomatic efforts on North Korea.
- 19 May, 2017 Mattis: Military action in North Korea would be ‘tragic’ U.S. Defense Secretary says Washington is working to find diplomatic solution to North Korea crisis.
- 30 August, 2017 Defense secretary quickly contradicts Trump over North Korea diplomacy Minutes after president says ‘talking is not the answer’ to tensions with Pyongyang, James Mattis says diplomatic solutions never run out James Mattis with South Korea’s defense minister, Song Young-moo. In a scene typical of the Trump administration, Mattis […]