Four commanders were named, notably Abdul Rahman, who was the provincial emir for the Islamist group, the U.S. military said
- 10 December, 2016 ISIS breaks into Palmyra months after losing it to Assad Militants claim to have downed a government warplane near ancient city. Syrian army says it sent reinforcement.
- 6 April, 2017 Silent on gas attack, Assad blames Israel, blasts Trump Syria's president says after the government failed to reach 'results' with opposition groups, there's 'no option except victory.'
- 21 August, 2017 In blow to Iran, Egypt becomes surprise new player in Syria To Israel's delight, Cairo's involvement is already showing results
- 11 July, 2017 ISIS leader al-Baghdadi confirmed dead by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights Russia's Defence Ministry said in June that it might have killed Baghdadi when one of its air strikes hit a gathering of Islamic State commanders
- 4 September, 2017 Syrian regime troops close to breaking three-year ISIS city siege Recapture of the oil-rich province's capital, Deir el-Zour, would be a drastic setback for the Islamist group as its self-declared caliphate continues to crumble